Venus Williams’ cellphone records will be examined as evidence in a wrongful death lawsuit, filed following a fatal car crash involving the tennis star.
Lawyers representing the 37-year-old athlete agreed to turn over records from noon to 2:30 during the day of the crash, which left a 78-year-old man dead and his wife injured.
“T-Mobile will be subpoenaed for Williams’ records about an hour and a half before and after the crash,” lawyer Michael Steinger told WPTV.
Jerome Barson, who was in the passenger seat during the June 9 collision, died two weeks later. He had a broken spine and other internal injuries. His 68-year-old wife, Linda — who’d been driving at the time — suffered a cracked sternum and a shattered arm.
Lawyers for Barson’s estate claim Williams “may have been distracted and/or unnecessarily delayed in her reaction to applicable traffic signals and/or other surrounding traffic” when she entered the Florida intersection, allegedly triggering the fatal crash.
Williams’ lawyer, Malcolm Cunningham denied that his client was distracted at the time, the Sun Sentinel reported. Attorneys for Williams have repeatedly argued she was not at fault in the crash, citing a finding by police that she “lawfully entered” the intersection of Northlake Boulevard and BallenIsles Drive.
Footage of the crash sees the tennis icon’s SUV drive forward on a green light, though she stops to allow a Nissan to pass in front of her. As she pulls forward, her vehicle is T-boned by Barson’s Hyundai.
Williams, who blamed the crash on traffic congestion, broke down when asked about it a Wimbledon press conference last month.
“I am completely speechless and it’s just… I mean, I’m just,” she said before dissolving into tears.
Palm Beach Gardens police are still investigating the incident.